Gum Disease (Gingivitis and Periodontitis)
Prevention, Treatment, and Oral Health Restoration
Navigating Gum Health for a Confident Smile
Gum disease, encompassing gingivitis and periodontitis, is a prevalent condition that can have serious implications for both oral and overall health. At Care For Smiles, we are committed to preventing, treating, and restoring gum health to ensure the well-being of your smile.
Understanding Gum Disease
- Gingivitis: Gingivitis is the early stage of gum disease, characterised by inflammation of the gums due to the buildup of plaque. Common signs include redness, swelling, and bleeding during brushing or flossing.
- Periodontitis: When gingivitis is left untreated, it can progress to periodontitis, a more severe form of gum disease. Periodontitis involves the inflammation of supporting structures, including the bone and ligaments surrounding the teeth.
Common Causes of Gum Disease
- Poor Oral Hygiene: Inadequate brushing and flossing lead to plaque accumulation, contributing to gingivitis.
- Tobacco Use: Smoking and tobacco products increase the risk of gum disease and hinder treatment effectiveness.
- Medical Conditions: Conditions such as diabetes and certain medications can impact gum health.
- Genetic Predisposition: Some individuals may be more susceptible to gum disease due to genetic factors.
- Hormonal Changes: Pregnancy, menstruation, and menopause can affect gum sensitivity.
Our Approach to Managing Gum Disease
- Thorough Examination: Dr. Rishay Naidoo will conduct a comprehensive examination to assess the extent of gum disease and identify contributing factors.
- Personalised Treatment Plan: A tailored treatment plan will be developed to address gingivitis or periodontitis, focusing on restoring gum health.
- Professional Cleanings: Scaling and root planning procedures will be performed to remove plaque and tartar from below the gumline.
- Antibiotic Therapy: Antibiotics may be prescribed to control bacterial infection and promote healing.
- Ongoing Maintenance: Regular follow-up appointments and supportive periodontal care will be recommended to monitor gum health.
Tips for Preventing Gum Disease
Effective Oral Hygiene
Brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss daily.
Regular Dental Check-Ups
Schedule routine dental examinations to detect and address gum disease early.
Healthy Lifestyle Choices
Quit smoking, maintain a balanced diet, and manage systemic health conditions.
Regular dental cleanings are essential to remove plaque and tartar.
Schedule Your Appointment
If you’re experiencing signs of gum disease or are due for a check-up, schedule an appointment with Dr. Rishay Naidoo at Care For Smiles. Our comprehensive approach aims to preserve and restore your gum health for a confident and healthy smile.
Contact us at (03) 9482 1100 or visit our clinic at 254 Darebin Road, Fairfield, Victoria 3078, Australia.