Understanding, Treating, and Preventing
Unravelling the Mystery of Tooth Sensitivity
Tooth sensitivity can significantly impact your daily life, making hot or cold foods and drinks a source of discomfort. At Care For Smiles, we’re committed to helping you identify and address the causes of tooth sensitivity to restore your oral comfort.
What Causes Tooth Sensitivity?
- Exposed Tooth Roots: Receding gums or enamel erosion can expose the sensitive dentin layer of the tooth, leading to sensitivity.
- Cavities: Untreated cavities can cause sensitivity as the decay progresses and reaches the tooth’s nerve.
- Gum Disease: Gingivitis or periodontitis can contribute to gum recession, exposing the roots and causing sensitivity.
- Bruxism (Teeth Grinding): Grinding or clenching your teeth can wear down enamel, making the teeth more susceptible to sensitivity.
- Cracked Teeth: Cracks or fractures in the teeth can expose nerves, resulting in sensitivity to temperature changes.
- Harsh Toothbrush or Aggressive Brushing: Using a hard-bristled toothbrush or brushing too forcefully can contribute to enamel wear and sensitivity.
- Acidic Foods and Beverages: Regular consumption of acidic foods and drinks can erode enamel and lead to sensitivity.
Our Approach to Treating Tooth Sensitivity
- Comprehensive Examination: Dr. Rishay Naidoo will conduct a thorough examination to determine the underlying causes of your tooth sensitivity.
- Personalised Treatment Plan: Based on the examination findings, a customised treatment plan will be developed to address the specific factors contributing to sensitivity.
- Desensitising Treatments: Specialised desensitising agents or fluoride treatments may be applied to alleviate sensitivity and strengthen enamel.
- Management of Underlying Issues: Addressing gum disease, cavities, or bruxism is crucial to managing tooth sensitivity effectively.
- Lifestyle and Dietary Advice: We’ll provide guidance on lifestyle changes and dietary adjustments to minimise enamel erosion and reduce sensitivity.
Tips for Managing Tooth Sensitivity
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and gentle brushing techniques.
- Choose a toothpaste specifically designed for sensitive teeth.
- Avoid acidic foods and drinks, or consume them in moderation.
- Consider using a fluoride mouthwash to strengthen enamel.
- Wear a nightguard if you grind your teeth at night.
Schedule Your Appointment
If you’re experiencing tooth sensitivity, it’s essential to seek professional care to identify the underlying causes and find effective solutions. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Rishay Naidoo at Care For Smiles for personalised care and relief from tooth sensitivity.
Contact us at (03) 9482 1100 or visit our clinic at 254 Darebin Road, Fairfield, Victoria 3078, Australia.